A New Adventure...

Well, I'm light years behind the times when it comes to all this new technology...but I've decided to give it a whirl and perhaps learn a few things along the way.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Danio Aequipinnatus


Giant Danio 7, originally uploaded by creativeaquarist.

These are the more commonly called "Giant" Danios. I just got a breeding schooling group of 6 of them for my 55 gal long tank...they are so lively...in constant motion and they are FAST...fairly good jumpers too...LOL...they really HAVE to have a tightly covered tank. I have some technical information about them...interesting to me anyway...but then I'm a geek about stuff like this.

"Danio aequipinnatus
SYN: Danio alburnus, D. aurolineatus, D. malabaricus, Perilampus aurolineatus, P. malabaricus
PD: An elongated fish with one pair of barbels. The body is laterally compressed and the mouth is up-turned. The back is gray-yellow to gray-green while the flanks are bluish-green. This area is marked with various yellow spots and stripes. The outer parts of the fins are transparent, while their may have a green or pink tinge.
SIZE: To 4.8" (12 cm)
SS: Bengal Danio ( D. devario ), Queen Danio ( D. regina )
HAB: Inhabits still and slow-moving rivers on the western coasts of Sri Lanka and India.
S: All
TANK: A school can be kept in a tank measuring 36" (91 cm) with a volume of 30 gallons (114 L), although they would prefer a longer tank (48"). Leave open swimming areas and plant the corners with robust plants. Use a tight-fitting cover.
WATER: pH 6-8 (7.0), 2-20 dH (8), 70-75°F (21-24°C)
SB: An active, schooling fish that should only be combined with species that can tolerate its activity. Pairs form bonds, although they are not as strong as those of Brachydanio species.
SC: Loaches, Epalzeorhynchus , Loricarids, Armored Catfish ( Corydoras ), Danios, Gouramis, Acaras, Eartheaters, larger barbs.
FOOD: Flakes; live; insect larvae, crustaceans, worms, insects.
SEX: Males are smaller, slimmer, and more colorful. "

I'm also going to try and post a pic of the map where they are found.
I was up all night setting up a new tank and getting some new fish that I bought from a very well known breeder, settled in and comfy...they seem content and not the least bit tired...unlike me.

I actually had to move 6 other tanks around in the fish room to make room to set up the new 55 gal tank...so much water moving and changing and then I got caught up in re-arranging the plants and wood in the tanks...changing out some filters for other filters...switching heaters around...and before I knew it...it was 7 am and I started this project at 6:30 pm the night before...the whole night just slipped away from me somehow...but that's what happens to me when I get in a "flow state" and I'm doing creative things...time just flies by and I'm not really aware of it at all...it's almost like being in a moving trance...and then I "snap out of it" and I'm astounded at how much I've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment